Facebook is a great way for PTA’s to keep in touch with parents & let them know about Events, Meetings & Extra Help needed. It is also a great tool to involve parents in the fundraising for the school, as well as reaching out to local businesses who may be able to help by donating products & services!
It is so easy to set up a Facebook page for your PTA & the info below will guide you every step of the way.
Firstly, to get started you will need a personal Facebook account. If you already have one, you’re well on your way. If not you may wish to create a separate school account so PTA members can login & edit the page accordingly. Go to www.facebook.com & follow the steps to “Sign Up”
Creating a Page
1. The first challenge you have is finding where to create your business page. To get started the page you need is www.facebook.com/pages/learn.php In the top right-hand corner you’ll see ‘Create a Page’.
2. Choosing Your Page Type – When you select ‘Create a Page’ you then have to choose an option.
We suggest: Local Business or Place, Company, Organisation or Institution, Cause or Community
3. Once you have chosen your page type you can choose a category. It is important this accurately matches your organisation as parents can search for you using this field.
We suggest: Education, School/University, Community or Non-Profit Organisation
3 Easy Steps!
1. Profile Photo: Upload your school or PTA logo in a square format. – This same image will also appear next to all your updates. You can use Picture Manager to crop or resize your logo if needed.
2. Get “Likes”: Start promoting your page straight away! You are probably already friends with a lot of the parents & even teachers in the school, so invite them to “LIKE” your new PTA page (facebook will prompt you on how to do this, so just follow the steps). If you already have a list of contacts, you can upload an Outlook or .CSV file and Facebook will alert the users about your new page. Your school Office or Head Teacher probably has a list of emails for the parents & teachers in the school. It is also a good idea to put a note in your newsletter – ask Mums and Dads to like your page
3. Basic Info: Here you have the opportunity to add your school website. You also have 255 characters to summarise your PTA, so make sure you draw attention to the great work you do and your key aims and achievements. The more contact information you include, the easier it is for people to get in touch, volunteer & donate to your fundraising.
The Finer Details
Once you have created your page the real work can begin. Click ‘Edit Page’ in the top right-hand corner and enter as much information about your PTA as possible. When it comes to creating a Facebook page the more you give out the more you will get back. Here you can also add some photos of your PTA Committee, your school, past events or tickets and posters for up and coming events. This can be done by going to the photos tab in the left hand column.
Permissions & Settings
Lastly, you have the option of managing the permissions of your page. Here you can control what users can post on your wall. You can limit their posting ability by posts, pictures or videos. This will depend on how Facebook savvy your parents will be, but remember you want to encourage your parents to interact with the content.
Your Own URL
When you first create your Facebook page it will give you a long URL with lots of numbers. To get your own custom URL you will need to attract at least 25 “LIKES”. Once you have done this you have the opportunity to change the URL to whatever you like e.g. Swish Kids has www.facebook.com/SwishKids
Simply go to www.facebook.com/username & edit the page username.
Creating a Facebook page is an excellent way to stay in contact with your school parents, teachers and even the kids in the school. After you have successfully created a PTA page you can link to it from your school website, e-mails or school newsletters. Once live, it is important to keep a regular stream of content populating the wall. Information, pictures and unique content will keep users coming back for more. You can even reach out to local businesses in your community for support with your fundraising.!
Don’t forget to go and “LIKE” our facebook page at www.facebook.com/SwishKids to stay up to date with Hints & Tips on School Fundraising, News and Competitions! We will also return the “LIKE”
Good Luck & Bye for Now